Six Thinking Hats is a very powerful technique for decisions making taking into account a number of totally different perspectives. It provides people the ability to solve problems using all approaches, because this tool is always used in situations, when people from different thinking styles are going to solve a problem discussing it together. There are six different types of hats, which mean that each “thinking hat” is a different style of thinking.
- White Hat – means looking for information which you have and what you can learn from it
- Red Hat – means looking at problem using intuition, emotions; trying to think how other people will react emotionally
- Black Hat – means looking at all the bad points of the decision; trying to see why it might not work
- Yellow Hat – means optimistic viewpoint, what kind of benefits we can gain making this decision; it helps to think positively
- Green Hat – means developing creative solutions to a problem; creativity
- Blue Hat – means process control, in other words is the person responsible for guiding the discussion taking no value judgments
Basically, this technique is to look at problems from the point of view of totally different professionals or different customers.
It was developed by De Bono – more information of this technique can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Thinking_Hats.
You can also check this two videos on the Six Thinking Hats technique: