There are several approaches/methodologies on how to manage Innovation within a business (innovation process). In this module the Portuguese Standard for Research, Development and Innovation Management methodology will be used, as it is an recognized normative framework and implemented in many companies from a wide range of sectors. Moreover, this standard is not focused just on scientific and technological innovation, as most methodologies do, but it encompasses the four types of innovations presented earlier (product, process, marketing and organizational). This methodology is represented in the following diagram. The diagram also presents a small description of what is intended with each step, according to the Standard.
Interface Management and Knowledge production management
- The organization shall define a process to manage the technological, organizational and market interfaces of the innovation process, to ensure the transfer of knowledge between the organization’s innovative activity and its environment.
Ideas management and evaluation of opportunities
- The organization shall establish the procedures for generation, analysis, evaluation and pre-selection of ideas, in order to evaluate suitability to innovation opportunities
Planning of RDI projects
- For each selected project, the organization shall establish a project plan. The RDI project shall consider, when relevant, the following provisions:
- Invention, basic design or concept of the service;
- Detailed design or prototyping;
- Re-design, demonstration or test and production;
- Commercialisation or implementation
Even though this standard aims to help the implementation of an effective RDI Management System, the purpose of referring to a small part of such document in this module is to provide Business Advisers with a reference model they can understand and use. Therefore, this module focuses on how to plan RDI activities (the focus is on Innovation activities, even though, as previously mentioned, R&D activities are closely related to Innovation).
For more information on the Portuguese Standard please check the following:
For different perspectives on Innovation Process please check the following: